Wednesday 26 December 2007

On the benefits of slowing down

Well, I'm back from the Falkland Islands. The wildlife there is so prolific and tame that I excitedly shot well over 4,000 photographs. After an initial scan through I must confess to be slightly disappointed. There are several good shots in there that I am very happy with - but there are vast numbers which are just not quite good enough. I can't help wondering if I'd taken less photos, but spent a little longer setting them up whether I'd have more shots that I'm happy with. Anyway. Live and learn!

In the meantime here are a couple of highlights. Maybe not the best shots - but the two which meant the most at the time.



This was the first king penguin I saw. It turned up, unexpectedly, on Sealion Island on my second morning there. There is no king penguin colony on Sealion, so this one was probably a bit lost.



Chinstrap Penguins don't breed on the Falklands and are only rarely seen there. From the outset I had declared my intent to see one, but to be honest I wasn't really expecting to. I came across this Chinstrap penguin on Volunteer Beach whilst I was attempting to photograph a group of king penguins taking to the water. At first I thought it was a magellanic chick - but as it walked towards me I realised it was a chinstrap. I was so excited I'm amazed I managed to hold the camera steady...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to comment on my blog!