Sunday 8 November 2009

The fireworks of autumn

This weekend I managed a brief walk in this sunshine on Saturday afternoon. The autumn colours are beautiful, and with the absence of high winds still largely on the trees. I was privileged to see my second bullfinch of the year - a small group of them feeding in the trees. Sadly they were too shy to afford a photograph, but it was nice to see them.

On Saturday night I went along to a fireworks display with my father. That curiously British tradition of celebrating a failed attempt to blow up the houses of Parliament, by shooting thousands of pounds worth of gun powder into the sky! It was fun - but I was slightly disappointed this year. The fireworks seem somewhat less spectacular than the autumn colours.

2 comments:

  1. I won't extrapolate Guy Fawkes to the present day for comparison. I'm an any-excuse-for-a-party girl myself, but that celebration does seem a bit unusual now that you mention it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has sounded like world war 3 around us this week..more bangs than colour lighting the sky. Thank goodness we have the beautiful autumnal shades around us. FAB.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to comment on my blog!