Monday 27 June 2011

Mandarin Duckling

After several weekends of rain, we finally had some sunshine this weekend. The local park was rather quiet - just a few blackcap and a family of herons that have taken up residence above the reed bed. No sign of my kingfisher this year - which is a shame.

Over the last few weeks there has been a female Mandarin with a small group of ducklings. I think as many as five originally. Last time I saw them she had only two. This weekend only one was in evidence.

Mandarin Duckling

3 comments:

  1. The Mandarin Duckling is quite a beauty, wonderful photo image!!! I just saw my first Wood Duck duckings this afternoon, and also the male, though, I had seen females before. They appear to be very similar in looks to your Mandarin~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a nice shot Ian.... I'd love to see these around here as I've only seen mandarin duck once ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments! Mary, the male wood duck is darker than the mandarin more greeny black than golden. I have a rather nice male mandarin portrait that I will pop up here as my next blog, but in the meantime you can see the differences on my website (http://quantumtiger.org/page/ducks.htm)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to comment on my blog!